Free Xirrus® Wi-Fi Inspector™ Utility Provides Valuable Client Monitoring and Diagnostic Services
Xirrus, Inc., the Wi-Fi “Power-Play” that delivers the most wireless coverage, bandwidth, and throughput in the industry, announced today the release of the latest addition to its family of Wi-Fi utilities for Windows clients. Following on the success of the highly popular Wi-Fi Monitor gadget/widget tools – which together have achieved nearly two million downloads since 2007 – the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector is a standalone application for managing and troubleshooting a laptop’s Wi-Fi connection in addition to scanning and monitoring the Wi-Fi environment.
The Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector is ideal for:
- Searching for and locating Wi-Fi networks
- Managing laptop Wi-Fi connections
- Troubleshooting Wi-Fi connectivity issues
- Verifying Wi-Fi coverage
- Detecting and locating rogue APs
One of the primary applications for the Wi-Fi Inspector is analyzing wireless user problems. IT managers or help desk staffers can direct users to run the utility – readily available as a free download over the Internet – to assist troubleshooting Wi-Fi connectivity and performance issues. As is the case with many users of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Monitor gadgets/widgets, the Wi-Fi Inspector can be made part of the default image installed on corporate-managed laptops to be available when needed.
The Wi-Fi Inspector facilitates a 4-step process for analyzing a laptop’s Wi-Fi and network connection that can be easily executed by the end user:
1. Wireless Configuration – The Inspector displays whether the laptop is successfully connected wirelessly.
2. Network Configuration – The Inspector displays detailed IP addressing data indicating if the laptop is appropriately configured to communicate to the network and Internet.
3. Network Connectivity – The Inspector determines the state of the network connection by running a series of Ping tests to identify connectivity issues.
4. Network Performance – The Inspector determines the performance of the overall wireless and network connection by running a throughput test against an external Internet server.
Similar to the Xirrus Wi-Fi Monitor utilities, the Wi-Fi Inspector scans the surrounding environment for Wi-Fi networks (SSIDs) using the client’s Wi-Fi adapter. The Wi-Fi network information is displayed in real-time graphically on a radar-like display as well as in a table format. Detailed information about each network is provided, including signal level, security level, Wi-Fi channel, AP equipment vendor, etc. From this display, Wi-Fi networks can be selected to connect to or disconnect from, or selected for more detailed analysis via signal level graphing and location functions.
The Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector – as well as all Wi-Fi Monitor gadget/widget tools – are available for download for free from the Xirrus website at http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php. The Wi-Fi Inspector runs on Windows Vista® and XP®. The Wi-Fi Monitor is available for Windows Vista, Windows XP, MacOS®, and Linux®.
To go to this press release and others, please click here.